Monday, November 3, 2008

cold weather and part one of the special election edition

I remember my third winter in Maine, specifically when I was still in college. It was the coldest winter I have ever seen. There was a two month stretch where it didn't get above 15 below. It's possible that I'm exaggerating, but I don't think so. It was really really cold. Three winters ago saw an insane amount of snow, as did this past winter. Portland doesn't ever get as cold as Lewiston. But Lewiston is bone dry in the winter, skin cracking sucks the moisture from your lungs as you walk to class dry. Portland is not. Although the winter is still much drier than the spring or summer, it sometimes has a humidity to it that makes the cold feel even worse than lewiston.

Regardless, I thought after eight winters in Maine I would be pretty cold hearty. This past summer, I think my cold tolerance must have sweat out. It must have happened sometime in August, around the start of my second month directly under a blistering sun.

According to my i-google home-page it is 74 degrees Fahrenheit here in Jerusalem. It is just a little under twice the temperature in Portland Maine. It is almost 11:00 p.m. here. The high today was something like 80 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm pretty sure that 37 is going to be the high in Portland. And yet somehow, it feels cold here. I think it's related to two main factors.

1. The houses here are meant to stay cool during the summer. Stone floors, stone walls, etc. They are NOT meant to stay warm during the winter.

2. My first three days here, I sweat buckets. It is the hottest I have ever been in my life. After a week, I acclimated enough to be able to breath without sweating (it had been a challenge). After a month, the heat didn't bother me much. Now, it's finally cooled down and I feel a bit chilly.

So I feel silly, but also need to get a couple of warmer layers.

The election is tomorrow. I have plans to go to an all night election party. Should be interesting. The California polls close sometime around 6 or 7 a.m. (I'm not feeling exactly mathematical at the moment). I don't know if I'll make it the whole time...or if I want to. I'll write something soon about the perceptions and attitudes about the election here.

1 comment:

DKcosmonaut said...

i think what you need, seriously, is an all-night contra dance, with hourly updates of the election results, until victory is achieved and you can go out for a delicious french toast breakfast.

here's why:

1. you would be warm. sweating again even.

2. you would not fall asleep.

3. you could conjur up tons of positive energy with the dancing, a collective celebration, which would sustain those waiting in long lines to vote in america.

4. you would be reminded of new england, and how you don't have to endure minus 15 temps this winter.

5. you would be amongst friends, and you'd think of all your other contra dancing friends.

6. you'd see the dawn of a new day.

i've decided to lay down at the altar of corniness today. i can't help it. proud to be corny. for change.

hearts,
ki