Tuesday, January 6, 2009

a place holder

I'm having a huge struggle trying to write about the things that are happening in the Gaza Strip. I have a lot to say. And a lot of it is really important. But it is difficult to express nuance when writing about the complexities and simplicities of the nightmare that is unfolding in the Gaza Strip.

I've started something like fifteen different posts, on various subjects like language, history, conflict resolution, the just-war scenario, and almost everything you can imagine. Thus far, I've written nothing that seems worthy of publication (even on my insignificant corner of cyberspace).

Instead, as we approach the birthday of one of the great heroes of history, on January 15th, I'll just post a quote from him, to let you know that I'm thinking about things, and that I will work hard to post some analysis, or reaction, or critique, or cry for help or something in the next week.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it... Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate.... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."

--The Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Junior (z''l, may his memory be for a blessing)

It is not naive to agree with him...

No comments: