Monday, July 28, 2008

Paul speakish well Hebrew


I thought after the rather heavy tones of my last post, I would put up something a little more easy going.

Having taken six days of language classes, I can now speak, in the present tense, about loving things, wanting things, studying things, speaking languages, drinking things (yet somehow in I still haven't learned how to eat things, which seems like it would be the first thing one would learn in the language of the Jews). Just last night I learned how to read and write things, like letters or books (write letters, read books).

This is a horrendously color balanced photo of my first composition in Hebrew. Here is a rough translation. Apologies to those who feel excluded, or that this misrepresents them. And, should you speak better Hebrew than I (which if you speak any Hebrew you likely do), The grammar has already been corrected several times by several people, I just didn't feel like uploading the photo of the page after the red pen attacked it. Loosely, it follows.

Paul Heckler

I am from New York. But I live in Portland Maine. I live with two women [Sorry Bre and Brax]. I live with Doran and Lauren. Lauren likes coffee. Doran likes chocolate. I like coffee and chocolate. Ian lives near us, he lives with Alice. Ian and Alice like wine. Ian and I have a great time at a restaurant."

We all like Margaritas, some of us like margaritas with salt, some like margaritas with no salt."

Shalom Alecheim I am NOT. but hopefully you enjoyed it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was first learning French, my teacher used to stress to us: You have no future, you have no past.

You can imagine how uplifting that was to a middle schooler--especially when that middle schooler was me.

ratcreatur said...

Oh yes. I saw our inclusion in your blog. And, quite honestly, I still love the wine and margaritas. They just don't love me back right now...

Robby Granoff said...

That's hilarious Jewish Jedi Master (in training) Paul. I love the composition and I am envious of your debaucherous lifestyle! This is your long lost cousin Robby by the way...