Tuesday, August 12, 2008

two markets




I went to the Machane Yehuda Shuk (one of the two covered markets in Jerusalem) the first day I was in Jerusalem. I had met up with a friend from Portland who had been In Jerusalem for the three week session at the Yeshiva that ended before I arrived. It was nice to get to know this culturally strange place with a familiar face. I've been back every week since, to buy food, to smell spices, to soak up the vibrant culture, etc. I finally got around to taking some photographs of the shuk yesterday, while I was walking around with two other students from my program.

The shuk has mostly food. It consists of four or so columns and three or so rows, making it relatively logical and easy to get around It also two main entrance/exit points. There are people who sell latkes and roast chicken, felafel, bread and pastries, coffee and espresso. There are three vendors who sell more kinds of Halva (sweet sesame paste/cake yummy thing) than I knew existed (I am particularly fond of the chocolate swirl and the coffee swirl). There are several butchers, fishmongers, and dried fruit sellers. A few random housewares sellers, a guy who sells five shekel ($1.50) yarlmukes (I bought three), there are vendors of clothing, spices, cheese, fruit and vegetables and, how could I forget, pet supplies. Really anything kosher you could ever want. I still can't hangle worth a damn, but before I buy anything more expensive than the five shekel yarmulkes, I intend to learn.





After a little while in the Machane Yehuda Shuk, my friends and I proceeded to the Old City Shuk. The old city shuk is a very different experience than Machane Yehuda. It is a series of stores/stalls cut into the walls of buildings in the winding streets of a very very old city. It is not strictly kosher, nor is it at all logically laid out. The Streets wind and turn, they exit out onto other streets that aren't anywhere near where you started off. There is a Jewish area, a Muslim area and a Christian area. They all run into each other and over each other. Getting lost seems very easy. I haven't fully explored the Old Shuk yet, I'm not quite mentally ready to be lost there..

The Old City Shuk has mostly goods, pottery, textiles, housewares, nick-nacks, hoookas, samovars, random metal vessels, etc. When I start fitting out my apartment with plates, cups, bowls, towels, tablecloths and cloth napkins, I will make my way back to the Old City Shuk. In particular to this little pottery stall, where the selection of traditional-ish pottery was outstanding, and very inexpensive. Hopefully, I'll be better at haggling then, or at least I should try to be more mentally prepared for it.

No comments: